In 1902 both Edith and Theodor Roosevelt were determined to provide a comfortable and improved home to their family and at the same time bring the Executive Mansion (Now officially called “The White House”) and give it sense of style, power and distinction that the new president hoped to personify. To accomplish this task they called on the most prestigious architectural firm of the time, McKim, Mead, and White of New York.
Roosevelt and McKim worked closely to bring the now White House into the 20th century. McKim’s eye for modern day conveniences was key in the decision to use faux panels in the dining room. A classical veneer of faux panels was used in the 1902 renovation of the White House by McKim. The panels remained in The White House from 1902 until 1962 when the windows in the dining room were lowered to allow the encircling frieze to continue uninterrupted around the room.
Source: The White House: An Illustrated Architectural History By Patrick Phillips-Schrock
More about our Faux Brick Panels
More about our Faux Stone Panels